About foreign citizens
Treatment of patients, citizens of countries members of the European Union:
- During a temporary residence in the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria “Specialized Hospital for Active Treatment – Spine Center” – Sofia is required to provide emergency medical assistance to any citizen of the countries members of the European Union, within the compulsory health insurance package.
- For every foreign citizen in need of emergency medical assistance are valid provisions of the Bulgarian legislation.
- Doctors – specialists of “Specialized Hospital for Active Treatment – Spine Center” JSC determine the type and volume of the necessary medical assistance to be provided to the patient.
- When citizens of European Union visit “Specialized Hospital for Active Treatment – Spine Center” JSC and temporary stay in Bulgaria, are required to submit a document certifying the right to benefits in the form of medical assistance package for mandatory health insurance and emergency medical assistance. The opportunities are two: European health insurance card or certificate replacement. These documents certify the patient’s right to receive emergency medical assistance.
- If the patient does not have either of the two documents, this is not a reason to be taken away his right to medical assistance. If it’s necessary one of the two documents can be further required by a competent health insurer or through the National Health Insurance Fund. The employees working there are making contact with the health insurer in the relevant country, who confirms the right of the citizen to medical assistance.
- If a primary examination is needed, except in emergency case, the patient should turn to outpatient hospital services with a contract signed with National Health Insurance Fund. If the patient wants to be served in our hospital, he must pay the rendered aid according to our price list since the hospital has no contract with the National Health Insurance Fund in order to be provided outpatient assistance.
- When the medical condition of the patient is emergency case and requires hospitalization, the EU citizen does not pay for the treatment of diseases that are paid with a clinical pathway by the National Health Insurance Fund or by the Ministry of Health.
- In addition to emergency medical assistance, citizens from the European Union have the right to elective care also, but only if they have received prior authorization from their health care institutions. When the patient presents such an authorization, he should be examined by the doctors from “Specialized Hospital for Active Treatment – Spine Center” JSC and the incurred costs should be accounted in the same way as the cases of insurance in Bulgaria.
Providing hospital assistance to patients who are citizens of countries outside the European Union:
- Transient foreigners in Bulgaria as well as persons with double Bulgarian and foreign citizenship, who are not insured under the Health insurance act, must pay the cost of the received medical assistance according to the pricelist of “Specialized Hospital for Active Treatment – Spine Center” JSC unless otherwise provided in other international agreement between Bulgaria and the relevant country.
- Treatment of members of diplomatic, consular and other permanent offices of foreign countries in Bulgaria and credited permanent representatives and experts of international organizations, their assistants and technical staff and members of their families shall be under the concluded agreements and contracts. If there is no such agreements, patients must pay the medical assistance in according to the pricelist of “Specialized Hospital for Active Treatment – Spine Center” JSC.
Additional services offered to foreign patients:
- Transfer from the airport/railway station/bus station
- Hotel accommodation of accompanying persons